Inspections: Milestone v. Structural Integrity Reserve Study
What are some primary differences between the Phase 1 Milestone visual examination and the visual examination associated with the Structural Integrity Reserve Study (SIRS)?
1. The Phase 1 Milestone Inspection is a structural inspection of a building’s primary structural systems, whereas the SIRS requires a visual inspection of the roof, load bearing walls or other primary structural members, floor, foundation, fireproofing and fire protection systems, plumbing, and any item with a deferred maintenance or replacement cost that exceeds $10,000.
2. Buildings that are three or more stories in height must have a “milestone inspection” of the buildings’ structural integrity when a building reaches: 30 years of age and every 10 years thereafter, or 25 years of age and every 10 years thereafter if the building is located within three miles of a coastline, whereas condominium associations and cooperative associations must complete a structural integrity reserve study every 10 years for each building in an association that is three stories or higher in height.
3. The Milestone Inspection requires a phase two inspection if there is evidence of “substantial structural deterioration” as determined by a phase one inspection.
What are some similarities between the Milestone Inspection and the visual examination associated with the Structural Integrity Reserve Study (SIRS)?
1. Both inspections must be performed by a licensed engineer or architect.
2. A developer must have a structural integrity reserve study completed for each building in the association that is three stories or more in height before turning over control of an association to the non-developer unit owners, and the developer’s turnover inspection report must comply with the milestone inspection requirements.
3. It is a breach of a board member or officer’s fiduciary duty if an association fails to complete a structural integrity reserve study or milestone inspection.
Building Mavens is a multi-disciplinary engineering boutique specializing in milestone inspections and capital improvement projects. For more information contact us: [email protected].